Get Answers

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I donate to Berkeley?


You can support just about every area of the Berkeley experience at our online giving portal. Visit to learn about the many different ways to give to Cal.

How can I get in touch with another alum?


To search for an alum, you can utilize the @cal Alumni Network. All UC Berkeley graduates can create a profile on @cal, and you can use the search function to find other individuals’ profiles.

Do I have access to Berkeley libraries’ onsite services?


Alumni of any University of California campus who have a paid membership in any of the 10 campus alumni associations may obtain a UC Berkeley library card. Alumni who do not have a library card are accorded the same privileges as visitors.

If you are a member of the Cal Alumni Association, you can obtain a library card by bringing your membership card and a valid California ID (or proof of residence) to the Privileges desk in Doe Library. For other UC campuses, please visit the library website for that campus to determine where their library privileges desk is located.

For more information please visit the UC Berkeley library’s information for alumni page.

Can I keep the email address that I had as a student?


Following recent changes to Google’s pricing structure for educational institutions, Berkeley IT is evaluating how the university leverages Google’s email and data storage services. Beginning September 6, 2023, the Cal Alumni Network will no longer process new alumni email account requests. Existing alumni email accounts and those of the most recent graduating class will not be affected at present, pending a formal announcement on the new scope of Berkeley’s alumni email services. For more information, visit the Alumni Email Service Level Agreement

How do I change my name on my diploma?


Follow the directions to change your name under Change (or Correct) My Legal Name and submit the Application for Replacement of Diploma Form. If you are replacing a diploma because of a change of name, you will return the original diploma to the university as part of the Replacement Application process.

How can I request transcripts?


Alumni can order transcripts by visiting the Office of the Registrar and scrolling down to “Order a Transcript.” Alumni of Berkeley Law should visit the Berkeley Law website for information on ordering a transcript.

Do I have access to career services?


There are services for every life stage. Please visit the alumni services page of the Career Center website to learn more.

As an alum, can I rent space on campus?


You can find information about some of our campus venues at the following locations:

ASUC Event Services (MLK Student Union, Anna Head Alumnae Hall, Anthony Hall, Campanile Esplanade, Faculty Glade and more)

International House

Berkeley Engineering (Garbarini Lounge, Sibley Auditorium, Hearst Memorial Mining Building)

Sutardja Dai Hall

Alumni House

California Memorial Stadium

A general list of facilities available can be found here: Campus Event Facilities

How can I find out what alumni activities are happening in my area?


Most events can be found on the Berkeley Events website. We also suggest starting at the schools and colleges page to find events and volunteer opportunities for individual areas. The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) also has opportunities to engage as alumni; visit get involved or volunteer to learn more.

Can I audit a class as an alum?


Members of the public may audit classes only through concurrent enrollment with the new no-credit option that will be administered by UC Extension. Like for-credit enrollment, no-credit enrollment in a course is dependent on seats available and is at the discretion of the instructor. It also requires the approval of the department chair. Read our policy for auditing a class for full details.

Contact Us

UC Berkeley’s Office of Alumni Relations welcomes your questions, comments, and feedback. Inquiries will be answered in three to five business days.